Mission Statement

The mission to this blog is to share recipes, encouragement, information, tips and tricks, links, and more that I have found or has been sent to me since my RNY in 2010 to help me and hopefully YOU! I am NOT paid by any company or person so this is totally objective in my own personal opinion and use. I am not a medical professional either, so please always seek medical help if you have concerns or problems.

Sunday, October 28, 2012

READING YOUR FRUIT LABELS

I work at a grocery store and I honestly thought these numbers were simply for bookkeeping purposes in the stores system.  BUT OH DID I LEARN SOMETHING with this trivia:

The codes on the fruit actually means something!  You'll not only learn where the fruit was grown, you'll also learn how it was grown.  Here's a handy tip to help you decipher them...

NUMBER ON LABEL       WHAT IT MEANS          EXAMPLE
FOUR NUMBERS               It was grown                     4011 - conventionally        
                                                  conventionally                grown yellow banana

FIVE NUMBERS,               It was organically              94011 - organic
beginning with 9                       grown                               banana

FIVE NUMBERS,               It was genetically              84011 - genetically
beginning with 8                       engineered                      engineered banana

No comments: