Mission Statement

The mission to this blog is to share recipes, encouragement, information, tips and tricks, links, and more that I have found or has been sent to me since my RNY in 2010 to help me and hopefully YOU! I am NOT paid by any company or person so this is totally objective in my own personal opinion and use. I am not a medical professional either, so please always seek medical help if you have concerns or problems.

Monday, October 8, 2012

Prevent Lumps in Protein Drinks

If you are using Matrix, Nectar, Protein Delite, IDS, or IsoFruit... honestly I cant make lumps in the stuff even if I try.... so I know that it is in the blending order. Although Tania and I (Susan Maria) conducted extensive experiments to try and make lumps in our Matrix and couldnt... as if you just leave it alone it melts into the water all by itself.

However, the best way to blend a protein drink is to put the scoop of protein into the dry glass, mug, or shaker... then add COLD water or skim milk to the powder and blend it. Use a fork, use a spoon... I (Susan Maria) use a really cool glass rod with a parrot on the end that I bought at a festival and didn't use for ten years... to blend it up. Then leave it sit for 45 seconds or so and the little suspended pieces will smooth right out and melt into the liquid. Taa daa.

Now if you fill your glass with water... and then plop the scoop of powder into it, it creates a little island, and the globs of powder get surrounded by water and you get little blobs of goo... which are hard to smooth out. When people email and ask about blobs of goo, I dont even ask them how they do it, as I know that they are adding the powder to the liquid for the 'island effect'

Of course all of this is moot if you are one of the gazillion people who have a MAGIC BULLET... as I apparently am one of only thirty three post ops who dont have one. SO the other thirty one of you who dont have one, make sure you put the powder into the vessel first!

~~Tip from Susan Maria Leach
 President, BE LLC, BariatricEating.com, and BEhealthydrinks.com - Author Before & After. Living & Eating Well After Weight Loss Surgery

No comments: