Mission Statement

The mission to this blog is to share recipes, encouragement, information, tips and tricks, links, and more that I have found or has been sent to me since my RNY in 2010 to help me and hopefully YOU! I am NOT paid by any company or person so this is totally objective in my own personal opinion and use. I am not a medical professional either, so please always seek medical help if you have concerns or problems.

Monday, October 8, 2012

MEASURE YOUR FOOD!


MEASURE YOUR FOOD!

Use a measuring cup, or else serve yourself in a container whose size you've measured. For instance, always have some plastic gladware containers that hold 1/2 cup.

Instead of eating as much as you can fit in to my pouch, I almost always measure a reasonable amount. (Unless in a restaurant - then try to eyeball it.)  Eat very small bites and chew them well. Make one cup of food last longer than other people's heaping platefuls.

Start with one quarter cup per meal at about 2-3 months postop, then gradually worked your way to a whole cup. (Depending on the food... some dense foods require a smaller serving.)

Our "full" signals are not the same as we got with our regular stomachs. If you feel that you should eat until you are "full" you may very well eat way too much. Instead, eat a measured amount slowly. Tell yourself that you cannot have more, then stick to it. You need to eat slowly to give your stomach time to signal the brain that it is full. This signal takes 20 minutes, so if you eat quickly, you can eat a lot more before you realize that you've had enough.

Measuring cups. They work. Use them! 

No comments: